Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Feeling the Heat

Yesterday was hot and muggy, but the suffocating humidity broke during the night, making today just hot and moderately (relatively speaking) sticky. I'm sure that it's not as hot here as it is in Nigeria, where Wifey is for the next 10 days or so, especially because I really only venture outside to walk Barky and go to and from work.

However, I should head down to the garden tonight with some cages for the tomato plants and a hoe for the weeds. I'll have to wait until later--around 8:30 or so--when it's cooled off some. Everything seems to be growing well there, given the heat and all the rain that we've been getting--unfortunately, "everything" includes the weeds. Perhaps next year we'll concentrate on gardening out of some containers on the balcony. This plot is pretty large and just far enough from home that we certainly haven't tended to it as much as it deserves.

And, it's not as if we don't have enough other activities to distract us over the summer. With Wifey gone, I've had trouble keeping track of what day it is, what time it is, what I should do, and so on, to the point that I forgot to take poor Barky to daycare today (it's a rough life, eh?). I called, and they'll be able to take him tomorrow, even though we're supposed to give them 24 hours notice of any cancellation. They kindly waived that since this is our first transgression.

Someone must have transgressed last night. As I was walking Barky down the hill, a truck parked along the south curb, and the driver popped up the hood and proceeded to start working on the engine. When we got to the bottom of the hill, there was a southbound SUV on S. Pickett that slowed at the intersection to allow two minivans to turn up Valley Forge in front of it. Odd. I wondered why the SUV would do that, but I was pretty engrossed in the BBC podcast on Marx that I was listening to, so I let it go. Odd, too, that there were two minivans, identical except color--one black and one white.

Then, as we crossed S. Pickett, an unmarked (but obvious) cop car barreled across S. Pickett, up Valley Forge. After we were across the street, I turned and saw that all of the vehicles--SUV, minivans, cop car--and some others that probably came down through the Arbors, had hemmed in the truck parked along the south curb and, although he was blocked from view, it appeared that the driver was on the pavement in front of the truck. All of the cops were in what looked like SWAT team uniforms rather than regular beat uniforms. Some of them were in plainclothes.

Initially, no one was allowed to pass the scene, but eventually they started letting people around--once they had the suspect in the back of a car, it appeared. There were several cops wearing ski masks, showing only their eyes. It was a hot day to be dressed like that, so I'm sure that they really didn't want to be identified by anyone.

Hm.

By the time we went around the bowling alley came back, they had a dog out, sniffing all around the area. Fortunately, Barky didn't see him and make a ruckus. Interesting night, to be sure. I'll remember that the next soccer mom-mobile next to me might be on its way to a bust. Geez.

No comments:

Post a Comment