Sunday, August 07, 2005

I am my mother's son

So, on our bike ride today I stopped to take a picture of these charcoal kilns. Yes, I also took a picture of the interpretive sign that explains them, but I doubt that you'll be able to read it in the picture I took with my little phonecam. I'll post it next for y'all to check.

We rode on the W&OD trail, which is the Washington and Old Dominion trail. It follows the route off the old W&OD railroad for 40 miles between Alexandria and, uh, wherever it ended. (We've never ridden to the end of the trail.)

These kilns are, if my memory and sense of geography serve me correctly, around Leesburg. We started in Herndon and rode out to about Leesburg or so. The whole ride was almost exactly 30 miles, so we rode about 15 miles west from the old Herndon train station, for those of you keeping score at home. It was much cooler and less humid today than we expected, which was good because we got a much later start than we had planned on. Our sleep cycles are still a little off from our travels, so we were up until 3 a.m. today watching "The Aviator" on pay-per-view. (Good movie. Crazy dude.)

We left home at about 11, which meant that it was hot enough to stop at Dairy Queen when we got back to the car. Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment