Sunday, February 26, 2006

"deep in the hurt locker"

Phrases heard while watching the Tour of California (which Brother #2 has been able to catch in person, although I haven't had a chance to hear him gloat in person, although he did leave a message):

"His own personal purgatory"
"Go into the suffering tank"
"I'm not sure if he can get enough oxygen in his carcass [in that position]"
"He really pulled himself inside out yesterday"

While I laugh at the terminology, they are evocative of the efforts that the riders are putting out. We're a coupla' days behind in the coverage, watching the time trial around San Jose, in which the riders, each on their own on the road, hit speeds over 30 miles per hour.

The only way that I could go that fast is going downhill, with a hurricane tailwind, and a pack of rabid greyhounds chasing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment