Friday, February 17, 2006

The Ghost Particle

You know how I wrote that weird post about Picasso and the Probability of Particles? Yeah, don't remind me either. By the time I got around to writing that post, it was several days after the ideas had all floated through my mind so clearly, and they had melted from icy clear crystals into shallow muddy puddles. I'm still not sure what I was getting at there, but I've given up being frustrated at being unable to capture ephemera in writing.

I haven't, however, given up on particles, which is why I'm anxious to see, as any geek would be, this episode of NOVA (which we record weekly, natch):

In this program, NOVA probes the secret ingredient of the cosmos:
swarms of invisible particles that fill every cubic inch of space
and just may explain how the universe was created. Trillions of
ghostly neutrinos move through our bodies every second without us
noticing a thing. Yet without them the sun wouldn't shine and the
elements that make up our world wouldn't exist. This program
explores the 70-year struggle so far to understand the most elusive
of all elementary particles, the neutrino. NOVA accompanies
scientists into the laboratory, revealing astonishing footage of
bizarre experiments.
Love, love, love PBS. Check it out, yo:

Broadcast: February 21, 2006 at 8 p.m. ET/PT
(NOVA airs Tuesdays on PBS at 8 p.m. Check your local listings as
dates and times may vary.)

No comments:

Post a Comment