Friday, March 10, 2006

Work and Blog, Church and State?

A cousin brings up a good point on his blog--it's difficult to write clearly in a blog without writing about work. I've avoided any mention of work for the standard reasons:

  • this is a personal blog, meant for family and friends--and strangers, I suppose--so they can keep track of us and their favorite new grandson, nephew, cousin, etc.
  • this is a blog about a baby and his parents and household, not about where his parents work
  • when I started looking into this whole blogging thing, I posted a mess of pictures from an employee appreciation day here, thinking that I was just using this as a testbed for the blogs that we were considering (which we eventually implemented) at work.

OK, so I should have started up with a different address, title, etc., but I'm tired of doing that, then having to remember if this account is the one that's "bradstein1 (or 2, 3, 4, etc.)." As it is, I've got seven NYTimes accounts, six of which I can't remember the password for. I know that there's got to be some way to recover my password, but it usually involves more time than it takes to just open another account (or a trip to bugmenot.com).

But, back to the question: how to blog clearly and openly without talking about work?

I'm sure that I'm not that different from many Papa bloggers, who have a significant number of friends at work, and who spend most of their day at work, meaning that many, if not most of their social interactions happen at work. They mostly avoid talk of work, but does that mean that we're all writing only part of the story? I'm not talking about blogging about work life in general, only as it relates to BBB. My own Mama always held that if you don't tell the whole story that you're not telling the truth. Are our blogs not entirely honest? Wholly dishonest? But who wants to get Dooced?

There have been lots of fun and some touching times at work regarding BBB, like all the people who keep suggesting names, to the point that when we meet in the halls, they just shout out names at me. It's surreal if you don't know what's going on, as if they have some form of Tourette's that blocks their memory of names. Then there were all the reactions to the boy's ultrasound pics, which were touching. It's remarkable how even the tough guys at work, if they're dads, break down, whip out the wallet photos, and become a Chatty Cathys when you start talking about having a kid. They talk about how moving it was to watch, how scary it is when there are problems, how beautiful their children are, how fun and funny it is, and on, and on.

I feel as if leaving that out somehow diminishes the tale that I'm attempting to tell, but, then again, nobody wants to get Dooced. There are those, like Liberal Banana, who manage to write about their work, but I haven't seen that with many Papa bloggers.

So, I put it to you:

  • What do you think?
  • Is it still honest, even if it's not complete?
  • Does it make sense to not include work here?
  • To include work here?

And, any coworkers still lurking around from those employee appreciation day photo pages--now's the time to delurk and make yourself heard. You know as well as I do the place where we work; does keeping church and state separate, so to speak, make sense?

[updated after posting from phone: added links]

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:19 PM

    MNMMM I hate to talk of work when not at work most of the time. Tere are still gripe sessions but it is nice as well to never mention it. Did I mention that I currently hate may gig? That I have to take large amounts of tagament just as I did in the latter years of my foolies time? As they say in the gay cowboy pic "I cant quit you!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer about the gig, the tagamet, and the gay cowboy situation, King. Yeah, gripe sessions are inevitable it seems. I work with a woman who limits herself and her boyfriend to 10 minutes each to gripe about work each night. Mama and I have tried that, and sometimes we can stick with it, but not always. I think it would be different if we lived in a place where we both had more friends outside of work.

    ReplyDelete