Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Long Distance Dedication


This one goes out from me to Brother #2, who was the bad influence in my life that caused me to like some Billy Joel songs. To pay him back, I played my Styx albums really loud until he was convinced that he likes them.

Payback is hell.

Anyway, here's the dedication: I send him the Beastie Boys' new kids book/classic song, via Sweet Juniper!

Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars, brolio.

[UPDATE: Added link to Bro #2's tag reply, so you could understand the depth of his Billy Joel thing. The Tom Waits bit almost redeems him.]

2 comments:

  1. Just for that, when Baby Boy Bradstein shows up, I'll buy him a children's book about a place I used to live. It comes with an attached CD of the song.

    I haven't played my copy yet to know whether it's the version with the excellent Richie Cannata sax lick at the end, a different jazz chord for each note. The tune's great, and very bluesy, but that was the cherry on top. For reasons unknown, the Greatest Hits version trimmed that and put some lame-o pop ending on the tune. When I was in high school, I spent about four hours one day learning how to play that five-chord progression on the piano; I liked it that much.

    A better children's book about where I used to live is From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which coincidentally also contains a detailed description of the filing system we use where I work now. But for you I think the book with the CD will be a better choice. You can tell me which ending the song on the CD uses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. That's the book (Frankweiler, not Joel) that Sister #1 was reading to me when I woke up from my concussion on the couch and found out that my chin had been sewed up, and that I'd bitten part of my tongue off, and that I'd fallen out of a tree, and what my name was.

    OK, not that last bit, but everything else.

    For that reason--it was being read to me as I discovered that I was still alive--and because it's a great book, I love that book. Can't wait to read it to 3B. I hope that he's not in a similar situation when I do, however.

    ReplyDelete