Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Set the Wayback Machine to 2002 and gas up the DeLorean--we're goin' back to the future!


The most recent sign that shuffle play is proof of intelligent design came this morning, when the second movement (largo) from Dvorak's "New World Symphony"--the version from Paradise Road--was followed by Liam Lynch's "United States of Whatever."

It made me think of how far we've come in this new world, about progress, about evolution, and--of course--about our almost complete kitchen.

Right now, while we're in a holding pattern, waiting for the arrival of our countertop, I thought that it might be nice to take a look back at where we started, to better see how far we've come.

That photo at the top is the middle layer of wallpaper. Earlier, I posted a shot of the bottom layer of wallpaper. There's no way to show the top layer of wallpaper, since it was painted over. Yes, getting down to the drywall was a bit like playing Heinrich Schliemann in Troy.

Then, there's the original range. In that whole monstrosity, only one burner worked. No, neither oven worked, just the one burner, which didn't even work that well, go figure.

Looking back, toward the dining area, there are those louvered sliding (if the rollers worked, and if they weren't nailed in place) doors that blocked half of the original entrance to the kitchen. They also served as a handy place to hang potholders and dishtowels. I took those out about five seconds after we walked in the first day, which is why there aren't more pictures of them.

And there's the overall effect--yes, the fluorescent cover was really that color. The horror is mostly hidden in a photo, because you can't see the cracked and failing drawers, the warped cabinet doors that never fully close, the gummy layer of grease that covered the walls and ceiling, the electrical outlets that had been sealed with paint, or the hideousness of the vinyl floor. But, I think you get a good idea.


And somehow, here's where we are today . . .

5 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    I just stumbled on your site. I've been looking for other NOVA sites to include in my "Voices of NOVA" section.

    Any interest in linking to each other?

    Delrayder@yahoo.com
    http://delradius.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random distribution is just that: not uniform distribution. iTunes is streaky. One day it's all Indigo Girls; the next day it's running through the Dead catalog. Today, at random, it plays a Lindsey Buckingham instrumental intro, then an unrelated tune, then the very track the intro is matched with on the album. Then it goes on to play two Fleetwood Macs in rapid succession.

    I was watching for it to play "Never Been to Spain" by Three Dog Night as I crossed the border into Oklahoma, but no luck. It's not luck. It's random.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Place is coming along great! Looks like all your hard work is paying off. And pay close attention to that washer/dryer. You're going to be using that more than you could ever possibly imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone asks why we wanted to go through a kitchen remodel while pregnant. Two words: washer, dryer.

    Yes, we also needed a kitchen that we, and by "we" I mean "I," can actually cook in, and one that wasn't a Superfund clean up site due to the crumbling and collapsing counters and cabinets and the sedimentary deposits of grease, especially in the pits of the chipped and ripping vinyl floor.

    But, even if we couldn't afford the kitchen, we were going to put in a washer and dryer somewhere, based on what warnings we've been given about how much laundry we'll be doing.

    We already got some practice when Barky barfed on our sheets--he's lucky he's cute--which we could then wash immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2,500 miles later, iTunes finally came up with Supertramp's "Take the Long Way Home" as I drove along watching the sun go down over Arkansas. I laughed.

    In short order, as I drove toward the Mississippi River, I got Pam Tillis singing "Maybe It Was Memphis," which has a guitar line I appreciate more the more times I hear it--understated but incisive.

    And then Warren Zevon's "Porcelain Monkey," a song about Elvis. And somewhere in there, Patty Loveless singing "I Try to Think About Elvis." So the shuffle mojo is working, at least a little.

    But when I think of all the other perfect tunes I've got stored in there--Dusty Springfield's "Natchez Trace," a whole mess of U2 recorded in Sun Studios, a couple of acts doing the old Chuck Berry "Memphis"--I really start to wonder if old iTunes was paying enough attention to the road. It didn't even play Cassandra Wilson's cover of "Last Train to Clarksville" when I stopped in that town to put gas in my tank.

    (Still able to read mail on the road but not send it--third night in a row. I think my host's SMTP server doesn't trust hotel Wi-Fi sites. POP server is less picky. And blog uploads so far, thank goodness, working fine.)

    ReplyDelete