Sunday, January 13, 2008

2008 Theme - Because I'm too old to have to remember anything

You’ll never get mixed up if you simply tell the truth. Then you don’t have to remember what you have said, and you never forget what you have said.
In trying to determine my theme for 2008, I considered many options:
  • Think different.
  • The audacity of poop.
  • Think outside the bun.
  • What. Ever.
I finally settled on something a little more boring and difficult:
Honesty
Although I'm the worst judge of my own behavior, I feel that I'm mostly honest in word, but I don't feel that my deeds are always so honest, by which I mean that I don't always act in a manner that's true to my own beliefs. Like most parents, I can see these discrepancies crop up in my child--his quick frustration, his stubbornness, and his desire for an Aston Martin, despite his not making nearly enough money to afford one.

In the upcoming year, I'd like to bring my actions into closer alignment with what I hold to be my character. Part of the reason for this is certainly to be a better role model for 3B. To borrow a phrase, I'd like to be the change in this world that I want him to see. But part of it is for me--I'd like to stop working against myself by doing things like having a hissy fit if so much as a mote of cigarette smoke gets near 3B, but painting our walls with high-VOC paint.

Specifically, I'm going to work to make my actions
  • healthy
  • compassionate
  • fearless
  • fun
I'm not completely sure how this theme will manifest itself, but to remind myself of my pledge, and as a physical manifestation of my ability to keep a promise to myself, I'm stealing an idea from Manic Mommies' life coach: I'm going to clear off my bedside table and keep it clear for the remainder of the year.

If I cared enough to figure it out, I'd set up a webcam so you could watch my bedside table year round to check out how honest I was. But also, in keeping with this honesty theme, I'm honestly pretty sure nobody but me really cares enough to watch my bedside table for a year. But, if you do, here's a photo of it that you can stare at for the next 365 days.

Other than drinking only organic gin, distilled by well-compensated employees who receive excellent benefits, without regard for the state of my liver, and with a smile on my face--what are your ideas for how my honesty theme should manifest itself?

Oh, and if anyone knows what that key goes to, please let me know.


Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

Better by design
Or get new posts via email . . . Enter your email address:

10 comments:

  1. great post.
    great ideas.

    ....and no, I have no idea what that key goes to...

    ...and I can relate to being a "walking contradiction" at times.

    this post makes me think of something I read once....it goes something like this: happiness is...or contentment is...when what you think, say, & do are in harmony...or are the same...or are in unison.
    clearly, the exact phrasing escapes me, but the message itself hit home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds to me like instead of "honesty" in your deeds, you are wanting to have more consciousness. You're not being dishonest when you use high-VOC paint, you're just not bringing awareness of your desire for healthy, organic living into your paint choice.

    I think this is the huge challenge of parenting: how to bring our words and beliefs into action in order to be the best role models for our children. How many times have I caught myself yelling at my kids, "Don't yell!"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. L-P: Yeah, I used to think happiness was a warm puppy, but then we got this neurotic hound, and I started to think that maybe there was something beyond that. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

    Henitsirk: Yeah, "consciousness" works too. As we've been teaching 3B to say "please" and "thank you," I find myself having to remember to use them when speaking to him as well. I was pretty good for awhile--you know, before he was learning to say them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea. I often find myself judging other parents, when I do many of the same things. For example, I cringe when I see toddlers eating chocolate, yet I give Porgie M&Ms on a regular basis. I guess I need to be a little more honest in my actions too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy: Yeah, I tend to find myself saying about other parents, "I'd never do that." And generally that's true, although I do thank god for small hypocrisies, but then there are plenty of things that I do and think, "I really shouldn't do this, but once won't hurt...right?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as you keep Barky around, especially while you live so far from the ground, and until 3B is potty trained, much of your life will revolve around poop. Think of it as a phase. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CAGirl: I'm fine with poop passing. I'm fine with this phase passing. Just so long as it's not kidney stones we're talking about passing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What were we talking about? Oh I guess I am still older than you.

    I learned to change my behavior when I saw my behavior in my kids. So now we live in a huge bowl... I am trying to be like them and they subconciously are behaving like me. It is pretty insane.

    By the way is that an old car key? Looks more like it would fit in a door though. It may even be the key to my heart since I love you and your entire family.

    Your Favorite xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I think I will take your What. Ever! idea and use it as my new years resolution. I think I can live up to that one better than -- get the Christmas cards sent out before the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kangamoo: I think it is a door key. The problem is that I've lost the door that goes with the key. Maybe it's the key to my memory.

    And, you know, if I can't figure it out...what. ever.

    ReplyDelete