Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The delicious irony of sanctimony

I'm not sure where to begin, or even to end, with this story about a father who was branded a "pervert" for taking pictures of his own children on a slide in a public park.

I will point out my favorite line in the article...

One even accused him of photographing youngsters to put the pictures on the internet.
A few thoughts...
  • By making such an accusation, that woman all but guaranteed that the pictures would show up on the innernets. Ah, the blindness of sanctimony.
  • Where exactly is this place where it's considered so outlandish to post pictures on the innernets? It sounds perfectly blissful, given that ignorance is bliss.
  • And, if taking pictures of kids with the intent of posting them on the internet becomes a crime, I'm in trouble (and at 24 fps, I'm in even more trouble)...but I'll have plenty of company.
If that woman really wants to protest something obscene on the innernets, she needs go no further than the very paper that reported on her Ludditic outburst, which shows that there are plenty of other obscene online displays for her to rail against.

...and yes, "Ludditic." My blog, my lexicon. So there. Besides, nobody's ever alone on the innernets.

Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

Better by design
Or get new posts via email . . . Enter your email address:

9 comments:

  1. well, if you're in trouble...I'm in trouble too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, yeah. So in downtown London or NYC or DC, we encourage shop owners and the government to record surveillance video of everything to fight terrorism, but average dads can't take pictures of kids without being suspected pedophiles. (Had it been the mom, would the reaction have been different?) Laws tell us that movies like Lolita and Juno are dangerous.

    I was stopped by police a few years ago after they saw me standing on a bridge to take a picture of a boat. No arrests, but they were interested. Any guy with a pack on his back could be out to take down the Western world.

    This is one reason I've been slow to stop when I'm out on a bike ride and take pictures or videos of the train yards I go through between my home and Palos Verdes. They're outstanding yards, with lots of locomotives pushing cars of every description back and forth to assemble mile-long trains. I know I have at least one nephew who might get a kick out of them, and I think of him when I go by.

    But I don't really need the nuisance of being branded a suspicious man with a camera, out to wreck our economy by tracking movements through its transport hubs.

    Then, of course, there are the neighborhoods I ride through where being a guy on a bike makes me a likely drug runner. My red bandanna-style sweat band confirms my gang allegiance. I've been stopped for that too, though I suspect a non-rookie cop would have just driven by.

    We live in suspect times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite road signs around here are the ones that say, "Report Suspicious Activity." Isn't this like saying, "Chew your food before swallowing it?" or "Underwear first, then pants." or "Breathe in, then out."

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's been in the Congressional Record, can you consider it already reported, or should you phone it in just to make sure?

    Just for the record, I always consider ravens suspicious. Especially around a nation's capital. Souls of dead kings and all. Phone it in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sad world we live in now. My kids are much older and yet when I take pictures of them and friends especially when we're at the beach, I'm accused "laughingly" by friends as a dirty old man. This is among people I know well, not strangers. We've made a world of "overly sensitive" maniacs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hookay. I understand people not wanting you to take pictures of their kids. Totally acceptable. But where did the "pervert" part come in? The kids were completely clothed. In public. Lots of other people around. I must be missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good your mother was the one with the camera and not your father. Imagine the accusations that could have flown.

    Today if one is upset with someone else, the best offense is to call him a pervert. There is no defense against the accusation that does not sound like too much protest from a guilty person. It is a parallel to the question about when you stopped beating your wife. It assumes guilt.

    When they throw those of us who post pictures of children in jail, I will be there with you. What will they do with my older child (17) who posts pictures of herself and all her friends and every other teenager who has a myspace or facebook page? If they threw her in jail, she would find a way to post shots of that too, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How horrible to be amongst a bunch of criminals. Imagine not being able to post pictures of cute kids on the internet... in public places fully clothed.

    I am glad you are all criminal by nature so I can keep up with the growth and development of all my relatives. Even though I don't participate, I do look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CAGirl: Yes, but those photos, or tweets, may get her out of jail.

    KMoo: I believe that makes you an accomplice after the fact. You know, to a ridiculous crime, as AMama points out.

    ReplyDelete