Monday, September 29, 2008

3B's schoolhouse rocks

Every once in awhile, I get a chance to read something. Although I can read books, like Sputnik Sweetheart, which I just finished, on the bus to and from work, around home, I don't have time for much more than short articles.

As I was reading this article about how a dad is now president of the former National Congress of Mothers, I got to thinking about our own scholastic involvement. We picked 3B's preschool for a variety of reasons, not the least of which are proximity; attendance of his best friend, Little J; and excellence of the curriculum. That means that he attends at the local JCC and that means that we get weekly e-newsletters that say things like, "It's beginning to feel a lot like Rosh Hashanah around here..." which reminded me that we're going to need to get pumpkins soon.

Yeah, see, I'm not Jewish, and although Mama is half Jewish, it's only the half that doesn't count, and that half was never practicing, so she knows less than I do. Seriously, I had to explain to her what a shofar is...you'll have to google it your own damn selves. Despite our lack of official Jewishness, we both like the idea of 3B learning about and connecting with his heritage, although we had to wonder how much 3B would absorb.

Even though he came home this week with a bear holding a honey jar (craft project), it was hard to tell how much of what they were teaching about the new year was sinking in. But yesterday, 3B was lying on the couch when he said something about Rosh Hashanah--I think they may have sung about it with their music teacher--so I asked him what Rosh Hashanah is. He replied, "The new year." When I asked him what you eat on Rosh Hashanah, he said, "Apples and honey."

I guess I know what we're having for dessert on Tuesday.

And speaking of kids who pick up everything, in my hyper-teenage-girl-ohmigawd-I-just-met-Sarah-frenzy I forgot to mention so many things, as I realized while I was walking away, like your uterus is so funny; and yeah--gnats, what's the deal?; and that I figured out how Claudia got into House of Pain:



Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

Better by design
Or get new posts via email . . . Enter your email address:

8 comments:

  1. I just showed her the video. Now she loves "Jump Around" even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad...that fulfills part of my obligations as good influence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SillyBilly's going to Lutheran school, and recently went out to the flagpole with some other kids and the principal to pray. I didn't know whether to gag or be proud, since I'm neither prayerful nor flag-saluting.

    But it's all good--he and 3B are both being cared for by loving people and are gaining understanding of cultural and religious practices that are part of their country's heritage.

    PS: That twitter about what he said -- yeah, what he said. Last night I finally watched part of her interview with Katie Couric on YouTube, as well as the Sat. Night Live parody of it. Pretty much couldn't tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to know that your child is getting exposed to other cultures.

    ...poor Gage is so...neglected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The origin of kids meeting and praying at the flagpole has nothing to do with the flag other than the people who started it wanted a "place" that could be found at every school. Outside the principal's office did not seem right somehow. Every school has a flagpole somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amama: Was trapped in a meeting all day, so I haven't had a chance to see both, but that's tonight's homework.

    L-P: At least Gage knows what cows are now. You've got that going for you. Plus, he like Johnny Cash...how neglected could he be?

    CAGirl: I dunno, the flagpole seems kinda random. I always prayed outside of math class...doesn't every school have a math class? Also, depending on why they're there, I bet plenty of kids pray outside the principal's office.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The boy's principal told me it was the flagpole because that was a place outside the school building, and therefore even public school students/faculty/staff could pray together out there legally. So the third Wednesday of every month, this happens across the nation, evidently.

    I used to pray before P.E. class...usually for rain, or an earthquake or something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite thought is: If there are tests in school, There will be prayer in school. When you pray before PE you are praying outside so everyone can pray with you.

    ReplyDelete