Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sharing the gifts of literacy and potty mouth

One of the best parts of the National Book Festival was cursing in front of another blogger's child, who I was meeting for the first time. I really class up a joint, lemme tell you.

But that was at the end of a long busy morning, so we'll get to that in a minute.

First, we had to see Clifford.

National Book Festival 2008

And listen for songs from the big chair--turns out there was just a big chair, the songs came later.
National Book Festival 2008

We also met some woman named Wonder Red, who we were hoping was Word Girl, but when we got close enough to find out she wasn't, it was too late to escape, so we took the picture. 3B was impressed by the foaminess of her head.
National Book Festival 2008

Then we were all "what the hell, bring on the foam heads," so we got our picture taken with this...er...gumdrop? We clearly need to watch more TV if we're going to attend more book festivals.
National Book Festival 2008

Then it was on to the tool-wielding pig, who 3B was fairly skeptical about.
National Book Festival 2008

And then there was the star of the show, who was indeed curious, but a little dumb, since he was waving at a school bus rather than the camera. Oh well, if he was really smart, he'd still be in the jungle.
National Book Festival 2008

And then Word Girl arrived too...score! She's smart enough to look at the camera. See what literacy gets you?
National Book Festival 2008

Because we're good influences, we also stopped by the tattoo booth to score 3B some ink.
National Book Festival 2008

Then it was time for those songs. We got good seats while the band took the stage.
National Book Festival 2008

But we weren't close enough, so 3B rushed the stage.
National Book Festival 2008

Although, he did return to chill for the second set with Mama.
National Book Festival 2008

National Book Festival 2008

Then we took a break from all the words, words, words and ran around outside the National Gallery of Art, across the street.
National Book Festival 2008

Drank a little milk on the steps...love shelf-stable milk!
National Book Festival 2008

National Book Festival 2008

Then it was back for story time, which was a warm up for the headliners.
National Book Festival 2008

Who all of the Bradsteins loved...it was the new Electric Company kids, who debut in January 2009. If they're as good on TV as they were live, we'll be watching regularly. (Also, I'll have to look into the flash on the camera, it must be what's making my beard look so gray.)
National Book Festival 2008

When we were done with that, we headed home, walking across the mall. As I stopped to pick up 3B, I looked up and who should I see but that woman who kicks my ass in fantasy football...OK, in blogging too...Sarah!

Or at least I'm pretty sure it's Sarah. I mean, I read about arriving early for the foam heads on A Parent in Silver Spring, a blog that's part of the DC Metro Moms blog, so I know it's one of those bloggy, mommy, DCy type events, plus Sarah's all totally a DC Metro Mom to the point that they made her drive rather than fly pimped her ride to BlogHer this year...oh hell, how can I possibly embarrass myself even if it's not her?

So, I ask, and it is Sarah, who is desperately seeking water for Claudia. We give her our spare bottle, courtesy of Le Target, since we're leaving anyway because 3B is wiped after being out in the heat for three hours, chasing big foam heads around, making books and catapults, coloring, and dancing like Gene Kelly.

We do the introductions, chat for a bit about Fantasy Football, how ridiculously close we live to each other--3B's preschool is in her backyard, it turns out...she was wondering where all those kids in her yard kept coming from--and go our separate ways. As we're walking away, I'm thinking how cool it is to meet a long time blog friend like that when Mama says, "You said 'ass'."

"What?"

"When you were talking to Sarah about football, you said, 'You always kick my ass.' in front of Claudia."

"Oh."

So, that's how I could embarrass myself. But really, what did you expect, John Freakin' Donne?



Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

Better by design
Or get new posts via email . . . Enter your email address:

12 comments:

  1. The kid is just too cute. If anyone ever wanted to kidnap one of my kids at the appropriate age, all he would have to do is wear a costume. They both loved anything that looked like a walking stuffed lovie.

    It is amazing that you have such fine architecture in your background. As far as the language is concerned, you were truthful. How else could you express such a fine thought so succinctly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately for us, 3B's not at that age yet. He was pretty skeptical about all of the characters, except George. When we told him that George had come out, he said, "Want to get down and run to George." As he gets older, he may feel different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys got way more accomplished than we did. We met zero foam heads (the lines were too long. We should have showed up early like we were supposed to) and we only scored one book.

    Still, I'm glad we went and it was really cool meeting you guys. It was the first time I've been recognized at a non-blogging event.

    And be sure to tell Mama that not only had Claudia herself said ass in the past, she had also said "dammit boy" and "Fucking animals" and one time her brother told me to bite his shiny metal ass. (Too much "Futurama".)

    I used to nurse them and watch "Deadwood" so I just feel fortunate that neither of them have dropped the CS bomb yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah is the best...but she talks like a sailor, so you don't need to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah: That's what you get for posting so many pictures of yourself. I'll be sure to let Mama know that your kids are bigger potty mouths than her own husband.

    Steve: You're fucking kidding. Also, the three of us need to get together sometime. We outvote you, so you'll have to come down to Dixie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, yeah, it's the flash. That's it.

    I'm surprised the foam heads didn't send 3B running away in terror. Those things are creepy. Except for George and Clifford, who are actually proportioned somewhat like real animals, not hydrocephalics.

    We don't curse around the kids (except for rarely while driving) but certain grandparental figures forget their manners every single time they visit. I'm waiting for the kids to use "crap" correctly in a sentence any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "you said ass."

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog!

    So glad that you got to enjoy the event to the fullest. We missed it due to a fam obligation. Hope to see you at another event soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amama: It's got to be the flash, what else could it be?

    L-P: Yes, I love Mama too.

    JMcF: Too bad you missed it, but thanks for the tip to get there early. It was the highlight of our weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, well, at least your hair is lightish to begin with. Mine turned dark brown sometime around high school, and now it's a perfect display background for all the lovely, wonky gray hairs. Not that I mind them -- they're badges of honor, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that jelly bean looks like one of the characters from Dilbert, which is a comic strip in my local newspaper... no tv there.

    Yeah, I think it is your flash that makes your red beard look grey.

    What a busy day. When you say you ran around the art museum, I assume you ran around the outside, not on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amama: Yes, it was lighter when I was, ahem, younger, but my hair is brown now. I wish I could say this means that I'm no longer a dumb blonde.

    KMoo: Hm. Dilbert. I used to read that. Maybe, but he was in the PBS tent, so I still think he's some TV character, although it's possible that Dilbert's been put on PBS. And yes, the outside.

    ReplyDelete