Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Wait until your father sees this


Although half of domestic violence victims are men, most of us carry a stereotype that only women are victims and that men are abusers. This misconception is now being reinforced by ads throughout Dallas, placed by an organization that, when confronted with the statistics about domestic violence, responded, "I hope you are offended."

It turns out that thousands of dads are offended.

As a dad who's trying to raise his son to be as nonviolent as possible, which involves making myself as nonviolent as possible, none of which is as easy as it may seem, I'm mostly offended that they took this negative approach to the problem, rather than offering a solution.

Sure, they got more attention--albeit, most of it negative--drawn to the issue of domestic violence, but all that they're doing is pointing out the problem--well, half of the problem. I've always held that problems are worth pennies, solutions worth silver dollars.

Anybody who can speak can voice a problem. Hell, last night, when presented with a cup with a few M&Ms and some cereal as a reward for sitting on the potty, 3B said, "I think it would be better if these O's were not in the cup."

It seems to me that The Family Place, the organization that placed the ads, does offer solutions in their services. I just wish that their actions were reflected in their ads.

Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

Better by design
Or get new posts via email . . . Enter your email address:

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the organization thinks people are so media saturated these days that they have to be shocking and offensive (and solution free) just to get our attention.

    The ads, at least, don't say "every man is a potential abuser," which would be really offensive. But you're right, that ad campaign doesn't do anything at all to stimulate viewers to think about remedies for the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can tell 3B to send those Os to his Auntie C, I will eat them.

    My kids would look at a cup half full and say, "I don't want that much." So I would empty some.... what they meant was, they don't want that much, they wanted more, so emptying it would make them scream. Perhaps they just need to be clearer about what they are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always tell my kids to eat the part they like and be quiet about the rest, or I will add more of the part that causes a fuss. It never worked. I still get the fuss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amama: I agree that they're not as bad as they could be, but the fact that two major billboard companies--Clear Channel Outdoor and CBS Outdoor--refused to run them supports the idea that many people think that they're misguided, including advertising professionals.

    KMoo: That's the thing about communication--it's great when it works, and unbearable when it doesn't.

    CAGirl: Yes, if you figure out how to get rid of the fuss, do tell. Fortunately, we don't have much fuss over food, but there's still time for that.

    ReplyDelete