Friday, December 05, 2008

My serious vocational error

Today, I got a voice mail message that consisted of Mama asking 3B what he wanted to say to daddy. After she asked several times, Mama got the reply that 3B had been chanting before my voice mail picked up, "Want to call daddy at work. Want to talk to daddy."

There's nothing quite so heartwarming or so heartbreaking as getting called at work by my son, who just wants to say that he misses me.

It makes me wonder where I made my serious vocational error.

Why is it that I can't have a home office--although if you look at that setup the other way, I'm not sure that I'd like to live at the office.

Why am I not paid to play all day on children's toys in beautiful European mountain ranges, after which I receive professional massages?

Why is it that we believe that men are naturally better at this constant departing? Is it because our genetic makeup allows us to recover faster from the heartache? Have we just learned by watching our fathers before us, who learned from their fathers? Or are we really that bad at housework?


Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

Better by design
Or get new posts via email . . . Enter your email address:

6 comments:

  1. I am not sure about the vocational error cited in the article. Even teachers wear name tags now, as do parent volunteers at school.

    As far as the playing all day with children's toys, keep working on that, and you can have the massage too if you are good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's nice to know I've done something right in life, since I haven't worn a name tag for work since 2002. Some days, I don't even have to put on shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have a nice nametag for me at the elementary school where I volunteer, but I never wear it. Most people assume I work at the school and they are surprised to know I am only a volunteer.

    The only time I play with kids' toys is to put them away.

    Sign me up for that massage with you if you could. I think I need it, wait I know I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding teachers and nametags...since Miller is a self-described libertarian, he likely doesn't believe that the gummint should be running schools anyway, so he probably does consider it a vocational error to be a school teacher or aide, since he doesn't believe the the school system. Wacky libertarians.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last night, I asked my son if he liked going to daycare -- we need two incomes just to stay afloat. He looked at me and giggled a bit and said, "NO! I like staying here with you."

    A piece of my heart shattered and I'll never get it back. But you do what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DJC: Exactly. Nothing we can do but keep on keepin' on. I remind myself that I loved both my parents like nobody else. My mom was a stay at home mom--what we used to call a housewife--and my dad went to work every day, just like I do. My love for them was equal; my dad's daily absence didn't diminish my love for him at all.

    And he would rather have been home with us kids than been at work any day of the week. So, I remind myself that I'm not the first dad to feel this heartache--it comes with the dinner.

    ReplyDelete