Monday, February 09, 2009

Swingin' weekend

As I mentioned in my previous post where I announced that we are pregnant--and by "we are," I mean "Mama is"--there has been some fatigue and nausea around Chez Bradstein for the past three months.

And when I say "some fatigue," I mean that I've been the only one up past 8:30 p.m. for the last 90 days. While that's provided me with lots of Me Time, it's not actually been that much fun, since I miss my evenings with Mama, and it's only served to highlight the return of my pregnancy insomnia...I'll get to the return of my pregnancy sympathy belly later.

Fortunately, the nausea never resulted in something so unfortunate as Mama horking into her hat on the Metro, as happened last time she was pregnant, but it did make for some days where certain activities weren't going to happen. Activities like standing and walking--on the upside, she did get to catch up on a lot of reading.

However, this made for some challenges, given 3B's current energy level--he goes to 11, while Mama was only able to muster a 4 or 5 on her best days. Of course, Mama somehow made it work, which is proof once again of why god gave pregnancy to women.

God realized that if men had to go through all the glories of pregnancy, we'd do nothing but lie flat on our backs for 40 weeks and kvetch to anyone who came near us and berate anyone who tried to help us. Instead, god gave pregnancy to women, who can handle it, and insomnia to men as a reminder of their weakness.

Given all of that, and 3B's 24-hour recovery from the ear infection that had him laid out for two days, we were all ready to go to the "different playground." And by "all ready," I mean that 3B had enough energy to tow Mama and I in the car down to the playground. If that would have meant that I could sleep on the way down there, I would have had him in a harness in a heartbeat, but alas, I had to steer, so we opted for conventional propulsion.

While there, 3B managed to have a blast while Mama and I managed to stay awake. He loved playing silly games on the swings, sliding down the rope hill, and trying to hotwire some other kid's trike. If the music wasn't so loud, you could hear the most awesome grunts and groans as he tries to get the trike rolling. And me laughing at those grunts and groans.

Until I can remix and upload, enjoy this version...tomorrow, I'll tell you about our afternoon at the velodrome.




Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

2 comments:

  1. I love having kids 19 months apart NOW, but during that second pregnancy, life was kinda hard. But Mama is even better at this stuff than I was, so she'll rock it.

    You, you'll just kvetch at us all at 3 am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, certain things, like leaving the house, walking down the hall, getting into the car, and so forth are starting to hit us in the face as we picture...OK, so there's 3B, running out into traffic, and then Barky, wrapped around two trees and a yucca plant, and then there's one of us, carrying a bowling ball in a car seat...how do you get anywhere?

    ReplyDelete