Friday, March 06, 2009

Cutting off their noses to spite their faces

There's been a lot of snottiness in Casa Bradstein recently, due to winter and the fact that it's cold season. However, it will surely pass when the sun returns to the northern hemisphere and bakes it away.

I can't say the same for Georgetown, however, which has a tradition of snottiness that likely predates the common cold. Although people now say that the blueblood uprising had nothing to do with Metro's decision to not put a station in GTown, the fact remains that GTown residents did protest the placement of that station, declaring their desire to keep out undesirables and riff raff.

Schadenfreude leads me to laugh at these same residents who now complain that their beloved hood is being bypassed because of a lack of parking. If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say, "I'd love to go, but it's in Georgetown and it would take longer to park than we'd spend at the event," I could afford to live in GTown.

And it's GTown residents who have been blocking the building of a new Apple store in their beloved enclave because it's too modern looking. Hey, McFly, it's not a Restoration Hardware, it's an f'ing computer store. I'm fine with retro and postmodern juxtaposition and irony, but I'm not sure that I want to buy the latest technology from a store located in a Victorian mansion.

Apple did finally save residents of the GTown compound from choking on their own snottiness, caving to their architectural demands. I guess that in a tight economy, it's time to cut losses and move ahead, but I would have loved to see Apple take the loss, sell the property and drop in the modern store they want over by the Studio Theater, around Dupont Circle, or up in Columbia Heights.

Then again, Apple's a little too snotty about picking their store locations for those hoods. So really, their beef with GTown was all about the snot calling the kettle black.

Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

3 comments:

  1. Your mother took pictures of the switchboard where your brother works including an apple next to the old fashioned switchboard. I think they went well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so much like the architectural arguements that go on in your old home town over things like how bright the letters on the Ross sign are, or what color to paint a Mexican restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KMoo: Perhaps Apple should open a store there.

    CAGirl: Or whether or not the Egyptian god Ptah, who was reincarnated as a maker of replacement teeth should be allowed to build a ceremonial arch over his driveway.

    Now that I think of that, it makes me miss the old hometown, actually.

    ReplyDelete