Tuesday, May 26, 2009

This explains a lot

This email alert from my fair city explains why I had to ford streams that had overtaken the bike path this morning. At least I didn't have to portage.

The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood warning for the City of Alexandria and the entire Washington metropolitan region until 11:15 a.m. Heavy rains throughout the night have caused 2-3 inches of water to accummulate in various parts of the warning area. An additional 1-2 inches of rain is expected until 11:15 a.m. today. High waters may be on the roadways and in low lying areas. Residents are urged to use caution when driving and do not drive through high waters.
It also explains why I should check my email before I bike in to work. This wouldn't have stopped me from biking--that's just crazy talk--but at least I would have known to wear my flippers and snorkel.

Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear water would not stop you. I have waded through deeper water than a few inches on my velocipede. I usually take my swimsuit and towel on the bike too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. You sound better prepared for such affairs than I do. All I have is my work clothes and lunch.

    ReplyDelete