Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What are words for when no one listens anymore?

According to BabyCenter, our little two-and-three-quarters-year-old boy

  • Knows about 200 words by 24 months and 450 words by 30 months.
  • Uses two words together by 24 months and three- to four-word sentences by 36 months.
  • Sings songs and knows a nursery rhyme or two.
I think they got their numbers a little confused. He's speaking in paragraphs of what seems like 200 words, and knows about 450 songs, all of which he sings in a running concert all day long.

And all of which we have to sing to him after we put him in his crib every night.

Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

8 comments:

  1. Ah baby center. Which by the way is the subject of another hilarious read: http://www.sundrymourning.com/. At least 3B talks. I have to pry words out of the Cake or hope to hear him say them when he thinks I'm not listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think BabyCenter is a little off on most of the numbers. Seems like my little girls is about 6 weeks up on most of what they have to say. I guess the baby Einstein songs at night are working :) ::Evil laugh::

    ReplyDelete
  3. So he takes after his father and his aunt Kangamoo. Were you that surprised? Those numbers are just averages. Your child must be on the high end of some and the low end of others, unless he is from Lake Woebegon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca: He talks when he wants to. When he doesn't want to, not even jelly beans can get words out of him.

    DaddyKV: BabyCenter follows the 90/10 rule: 90 percent of their content is for entertainment purposes only, like this list, and 10 percent is worth paying attention to.

    CAGirl: Yeah, I know. Whodathunk my kid would be a talker? And yes, these things are just averages, and eventually almost all of them balance out. By the time he's 10, we won't remember what he was saying when he was two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and Rebecca, I just read that post...funny stuff, and I love the uh-oh face. 3B looked surprised like that from month 12 to month 18.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My older daughter was speaking in complete sentences before she was 1and my younger daughter I couldn't get 3 words out of when she was 2 I guess I am raising the average.

    FF 14 years and I can't get my older daughter to shut up, and my younger daughter likes to talk (without thinking and without opening her mouth... still hard to understand.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. KMoo: Wait? They don't go out on their own after 14 years?

    ReplyDelete