Monday, July 27, 2009

Blair Bike Project

Inspired by L.A. Daddy (I can't find his original post with the video of his motorcycle commute--comment with the URL if you can), I thought I'd bring you along on my bike commute.

It's one of the best, most stressful and hardest parts of my day. It clears my mind--and hopefully my arteries--and relaxes me. It gets me outside and it gets me moving, and I'm always better when I'm outside and moving.

I wish that I could say that this was a standard commute, but there is no standard. You'll see that I bump into a detour part of the way in, decide the detour sign is bogus, get back on the trail, then get told by another biker that the detour is real and follow him up a torturous hill on the side trail--the downhill through the forest is fun, however.

Also, at the end, I typically ride in the street, but the way the signals turned for me, I took the last stretch on the sidewalk.

I sped this up, because really, who wants to watch 40 minutes of some old guy huffing and puffing his way to work? But also, it helps smooth out some of the bumps to speed it up. I also added music, even though I don't listen to any--that should help cover up my huffing and puffing. Despite my masterful editing, however, it still has that Blair Witch Project feeling to it--you know, that seasick feeling from the shaky camera work.

Maybe next time I'll throw down for some real gear to do this with, but this time around I just strapped our flip camera onto my handlebars with a Gorilla pod and let the good times roll. I doubt that you will enjoy it as much as I do, but it may help your experience to point your desk fan at your face, raise the room temperature to 85 degrees and the humidity to over 80 percent, and for the first half pipe in some car exhaust to huff as you watch--for the second half, fill the room with gnats, bees, flies and assorted other flying nuisances. You'll know you have enough when you hoover one to the back of your throat every 30 seconds or so.

And you thought I didn't know how to have a good time.



Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

4 comments:

  1. There is a reason for me to acquire a video camera. I can share all my fun with you too, especially the fence across the parking lot 100 feet from where I park my bike that necessitated a tour of the school to find a way around this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Green grass in the summer? I think there's a law against that west of the Mississippi.

    L.A. Daddy's commute was way scarier. At least most of the time you just have to swerve around pedestrians, not big rigs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CAGirl: Did you sing Cole Porter as you worked your way around?

    Amama: It's green on top and dry underneath. And hey, have you seen some of these pedestrians? They've got sharp, pointy teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good piece, and fun to watch. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete