Thursday, December 31, 2009

Your New Year's resolution



I was fortunate this year to have your support, and the support of my five other loyal readers, for my ride to make brain tumors history. As I rode, it brought a smile to my face knowing that all of you were with me on that ride.

From your donation messages to me, however, it became apparent that while finding a cure for brain tumors is important to me, the problem is much larger. The problem is cancer itself.

In the same year in which we welcomed our new daughter, we also heard from friends who had lost family to cancer. We had friends who found cancer in their bodies and had to undergo treatment. These stories are in addition to the ones you already shared about loved ones you had lost in the past.

Perhaps it's because now it's my friends, people who are my age, people who I know, have known, and plan on knowing for the rest of a long lifetime...or perhaps it's because now that I have kids, I see the toll on people through a different lens, seeing the horror of a young child losing their parent...or perhaps it's because that list of stories just got too damn long and I finally snapped...

Whatever the cause, I'm doing something about it.

As I said, the problem is much larger, and so my response will be as well. That's why I've resolved to ride almost four times the length that I rode this year: 190 miles in the 2010 Pan Mass Challenge.

The ride contributes 100 percent of all donations directly to the cause of fighting cancer, and last year it raised over $30 million.

To complete the ride, I'll not only need to ride more, I'll need to raise more than I did last year. That's where your New Year's resolution comes in. If you can, I'd greatly appreciate your donation. If you can't, I'd greatly appreciate you helping me spread the word to others who might donate.

And if you can't afford it, think outside the wallet: you may not have or want to contribute money, but perhaps you want to help me design ads to distribute online--or maybe a jersey with donor names and faces of loved ones lost, or your kids want to send a picture along to encourage me, or you have some spare Clif bars lying around. I'll need dollars to ride, but there's also much more that goes into a ride than money, starting with love.

Registration opens on January 19, and I intend to be one of the first to put my name down for 2010.

Are you with me?




Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you brother, both on the bike and off of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given how much more fit you are than I am, I figure that you're a few miles ahead of me...at least. But I appreciate the sentiment. I hope you know that I'm with you wherever you ride. Or swim. Or walk.

    You know, with you in the sense of holding a towel for you when you get out, not actually in that cold water...that's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in...Donating that is. My goal in terms of riding is to get my bike out of the garage this year...However, VB is a pedal partner for Pan Mass's "Stem Cell Cyclist" teams. We always go on the Saturday of Ride day to one of the water stops, so we'll have to arrange to connect -- two daddy bloggers in the same place. The universe may explode!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to meet you and VB! And thanks for your pledge too. Knowing how much you already gave to this fight, as my sister CaliforniaGirl has, it means that much more to me.

    ReplyDelete