Sunday, January 03, 2010

Mmm...a big helping of crow for me!

Mom's greatest parenting advice to me came in a story she told on herself that began with this lesson

As a parent, I ate every word I had said about parenting before I became one.
She would then recount how she swore that she'd never use a pacifier...until she had to...or that she'd never use a child leash...until she had to...and so forth. She never did discuss what she had to do with me that she swore against--maybe tolerating my earrings, long before everybody started filling their faces with enough metal to extend wait times at airports by hours.

Wow, by writing that, I officially designated myself as a crotchety old man.

As for me, I couldn't really imagine how I could spend all day in my pajamas...until it happened. You know, it's supposed to be that we get up, enjoy a nutritious breakfast around the table while chatting, then get ready and head to the park to play catch and fly a kite. After that, we come home for a lovely lunch, followed perhaps by a nap for the kids while Mama and Papa do some chores around the house. The evening is filled with a lovely dinner, followed by a fun-filled bath time, a few stories and then, once the kids are in bed, a pleasant evening of relaxing pursuits for Mama and Papa.

Ha!

So, I'm off to bed in the very same pajamas that I wore last night, this morning, through noon, this afternoon, and this evening. And it is in this state that I offer a mea culpa for anything I may have said previously about parenting, especially about parenting two children, especially about toddlers who won't nap and babies who won't sleep. Not only am I truly sorry for saying them, I'm hoping it gives me a rat's chance of unjinxing myself.

While I'm at it, I'd like to point out, before you do, that yes, this is another case when Mom was right.

Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

4 comments:

  1. You know it's funny but so far in my nearly 3 year journey as a parent, I've had to eat much of what I've said before. In fact, I'm doing discipline a lot differently than my parents so I'm content with that.

    BUT, it's early yet. Still plenty of time to screw things up... (#):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've had a lot of those pre-parenting beliefs fall by the wayside as well. But under no circumstances will I use a kid leash. That's a line that I shall not cross!

    Yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I don't comment 'round these here parts much anymore. But I love you and your blog. Happy Delurking Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I know you're out there. And what can I really say...I don't post 'round these here parts much anymore. That's scheduled to change when Jewel starts sleeping better.

    She will start sleeping better someday, right?

    ReplyDelete