Friday, May 28, 2010

5 of my 15 minutes: Hello, Angels

I just finished my first television interview, and I'm happy to report that I didn't go all Dances on Couches. Even if I had, however, you wouldn't have seen it, since my presence was limited to a speaker phone on the host's desk.

Somehow I resisted the urge to start the interview with, "Hello, Angels." Seriously. I did. Don't believe me? See for yourself; watch the show. (My segment starts six minutes in.)

Other than that, however, I'm not exactly sure what I did say--five minutes flew by. I do know that I left some comments out. I forgot to

  • thank the academy
  • tell my wife I love her
  • get played off by the orchestra
  • Rickroll you...oh, wait, I did that...
  • mention my friends who inspire me--those I've lost, those who are still fighting cancer and those who have donated so generously and selflessly in support of my ride
Overall it went well, and I'm looking forward to keeping in touch with Kevin throughout my training and preparation for the ride. I'm almost halfway to my fundraising goal, which means I'm making great progress, but I still have many dollars to raise, so any help like this is welcome.

And by "like this," I mean that if you're friends with Anderson Cooper, why haven't you sent him my phone number already? And if you're not friends with Mr. 360, I am available to be a disembodied voice on your show, write a guest post, or otherwise besmirch your good online reputation with my presence in the interest of raising more money to fight cancer and support patients like Jack Coates.

Coates survived a brain tumor, which is what killed my father, thanks to the work of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. His care didn't end when his medical treatment ended--Dana-Farber still helps him manage the long-term physical and emotional effects of his tumor and treatments.

To me, his survival is a miracle, and that miracle and his treatments and long-term care are made possible by donations like yours--100% of which go to the researchers, doctors, nurses and other caring professionals working every day at Dana-Farber to make miracles happen.

Which is why I'm saving my John Forsythe impersonation for the ride--so I can say it to the Dana-Farber staff who it truly describes...Hello, Angels.



I'm working to make cancer history. Will you help me?

Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

No comments:

Post a Comment