Wednesday, May 05, 2010

I'm not Gwyneth Paltrow

A colleague who lurks on my blog asked recently how I got into the Iron Man 2 opening in NYC, wondering if I was secretly Gwyneth Paltrow. Obviously she's never seen a photo of me. Or Gwyneth's facial hair is really getting out of hand.

But 3B might be Gwyneth. Over the weekend, we went down to Olde Towne for a picnic and a walk around a tall ship that was moored there. The ship was beautiful, with mahogany woodwork and delicate stained glass windows throughout. It gave Mama a chance to flash back on the summer she spent sailing on a tall ship down the Eastern Seaboard to NYC, and me a chance to confuse 3B by teaching him that left is really port and right is really starboard.

After that, we had to go for ice cream, of course. As Mama stood in line, I sat at the table with 3B and Jewel, who anxiously awaited her upcoming treat--my cone. Meanwhile, 3B busied himself making faces in the mirror. After awhile I heard him ask, Who's that cute girl?

I was a bit mystified, since he wasn't looking at Jewel and there were no other girls I could see in the shop. So, I asked, Who is the cute girl? He looked straight at himself and said, I am.

Oh. Of course you are.

Sometimes things are simple like that. Iron Man 2 in NYC is simple like that, except it's a little more complicated. 3B and I are heading up on BoltBus on Thursday, so we'll have time to play with Uncle FunkDaddie as well as Uncle D, Aunt A and their new kitty cats, eat some dinner and get to bed in their new place--so many changes to absorb.

After 3B's asleep, I'm going to sneak out with Uncles FunkDaddie and D--my best friends from childhood--to see the midnight showing of IM2. That way, Aunt A, who is leaving early Friday morning, will be available to watch 3B...which will involve little more than ensuring he stays asleep.

So, it's not really a premiere. There's no red carpet. And I'm not Gwyneth Paltrow. It's just the first showing in the city that never sleeps.

I'm working to make cancer history. Will you help me?

Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

No comments:

Post a Comment