Friday, April 15, 2011

What is unknowable

continued...


As I flew home, that lurking feeling came closer to my consciousness, but never surfaced. It was large, dark and mysterious. It felt as if I were at the bottom of a hole dug so deep into the Earth's crust that if I were to scream, my voice would never be heard.

It also felt as if a hole had opened in the bottom of my soul that was big enough that it could swallow the moon...and me along with it.

But it was as if I were blindfolded and bound in a cave and suddenly realized there was an enormous creature in the chamber with me that could not only see me and move me about, but also was a part of me. I could sense its size from the deep notes of its slow breathing and the shuddering of the ground when it moved about. At times, it even brushed against me and I could feel its cold skin, and sense its tremendous weight.

But never could I fully apprehend it, know it, understand it.

To this day, I can't fully describe this feeling, but I know it is still with me. I know that it feels like loss. It has the tremendous weight of sadness. It has the tremendous darkness of a place where seeing isn't possible. It is a void, but it's not something I avoid.

But however I chase after it, this feeling stays just out of reach, past the edge of what I can know. Perhaps that is its purpose.


Papa Bradstein will ride 200 miles across Massachusetts in two days to help fight cancer. Please support his ride.

Subscribe
...Or get new posts via email.

Email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment