Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Apparently

Yesterday, Mama took the kids to a splash park just north of us to check it out for 3B's birthday party. OK, spoiler alert...if you're coming to 3B's birthday party, we're going to a splash park.


Also, if you're coming to his party, that means you're, like, five years old...so what are you doing reading my blog?

According to Mama, everyone had fun. 3B ran all over the place and made a new friend. When I asked him what his new friend's name was, he said, "It occurred to me that I should tell him my name."

I swear that sometimes my son believes he's paid by the word when he speaks. Otherwise, why "occurred to me"? Why not "I realized"? Or even simply, "I didn't tell him my name"? Wherever does this wordiness come from?

Oh.

While we're on the topic of words, one of his favorite tricks is to use "apparently" for comedic effect, often when something unexpected happens, such as, "And then that toy will fall off the bed and make a loud bang, apparently." He's not even five and his deadpan rivals Steven Wright's.

At the rate Jewel's speech is progressing, I'm sure she'll be at that point before she's two. Every day is a cornucopia of new constructions and conjugations. Just yesterday afternoon, we were sitting on the couch and it occurred to me that I was having a conversation with my daughter. The depth of what that means almost left me speechless, but then she asked a question and we moved on.

No matter how many times they happen, there are parts of parenting that will always be magic to me, like hearing my kids thoughts. So, spoiler alert, kids...I will be that parent at college graduation marveling at how far you've come and how I can remember when you couldn't even talk and wondering where you got that wordiness.

Oh.

And then I will remind you how cute you are. So cute, in fact, that when you came home from a splash park and filled my bed with the sand you were covered with, I still loved you, and not just because it made me feel like we were still on our beach vacation.


Papa Bradstein will ride 200 miles across Massachusetts in two days to help fight cancer. Please support his ride.

Subscribe
...Or get new posts via email.

Email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment