Friday, August 05, 2011

I'm taking your money for a ride...here's where it will go

Tomorrow Lance Armstrong and I will ride across Massachusetts with 5,500 of our closest friends who together have raised millions to fight cancer. On that first day I will wear the 2011 PMC jersey like every other rider, but on the second day, I will wear the Team Bradstein jersey that you all created with your donations and your photos.


Your images will embrace me as I ride to the very end of Cape Cod to complete 200 miles of riding in two days, and in every mile, I will keep you and your loved ones in my thoughts and in my heart.

And for those who we've lost who I carry with me, young and old, I'll see for them with my eyes, all the while wondering what they would think of the sight of the surging, joyful mass of riders at the pre-dawn start on day one; the crowds lining every street, lane and bike path we ride along; sunrise over the bridge as we head out on day two; the vast expanse of the Atlantic spreading around us as we ride out Cape Cod to land's end; and the hero's welcome we receive on our ferry's return to Boston, with the harbor fireboat coming out to greet us with a full ceremonial water cannon salute and crowds lining the dock, cheering and waving.

I wish you all could be there to see all of this with me too, since they're not cheering for me, they're cheering for you. It's your money that will pay for the research that will result in a new, more effective treatment for cancer or for a doctor's time as they deliver that treatment or for a patient to live a little after facing down their own mortality. And when I say "your money," I mean 100% of your donation goes to the Jimmy Fund, including the Jimmy Fund clinic, a place where children with cancer and their families can find hope, thanks to the corporate sponsors who underwrite all the administrative and logistics costs of the ride.

They include New Balance, the Boston Red Sox, BMW, WCVB and MFS as well as in-kind donations from scores of smaller companies.

If you want to know more specifics about where your money goes, visit the Jimmy Fund site, or my friend Vampdaddy's blog. Donations like yours saved his son's life. And if you want to know more specifics about where I'm going this weekend, follow me on Twitter, where I'll post regular updates, and if I can work it out, a live map, tracking me along the route.

Thanks again for your generous support. Working together, we will make cancer history.


Papa Bradstein will ride 200 miles across Massachusetts in two days to help fight cancer. Please support his ride.

Subscribe
...Or get new posts via email.

Email address:

1 comment: