Thursday, August 04, 2011

Lance Armstrong, I will beat you in this race or you can have the jersey off my back


Yesterday I was watching Billy Starr, founder of the Pan-Mass Challenge, announce that Lance Armstrong was going to join me and 5,500 of my closest friends on the first day of the PMC.


Although I'm a little concerned about Lance's fitness, since he's already announced that he's going to abandon the PMC after the first day, what struck me was when Billy said that Lance registered like everybody else and has to do fund-raising like every other rider.

Seriously? Can you imagine being his neighbor and having him ring your doorbell and ask you for $5 for his ride? And you wouldn't even get a box of cookies for your donation.

It occurred to me that this is one race in which I'm already beating Lance Armstrong like a dusty rug--thanks to all of my generous donors. I've raised over my $6,500 goal (two checks haven't processed to show up in my online total yet) while Lance hasn't even started yet.

But I know that Lance is just a little competitive, so I'm wondering if he'll take me up on my challenge--no, not on the bike. I don't want to embarrass the man publicly. My challenge is monetary:
I will raise another $5,000 before Lance raises his first $5,000.
But for this to be a real challenge, each of us has to have something at stake, so I propose this...if you're willing to stand up to this challenge, Lance:
  • If you raise $5,000 before I do, you get one of my beautiful jerseys, covered with photos of people affected by cancer who are near and dear to me and my supporters.
  • If I raise $5,000 before you do, I get an autographed jersey from you that I will give away to one of the people who donates to my ride as part of this effort.
Now, this isn't an entirely fair fight, since you could just ask folks like your buddy Senator John Kerry to chip in huge donations and almost everyone I know and some folks I don't know at all have already given all they can to my ride.

To level the playing field:
  • The only donations that count for you are those that are $5 or less.
  • The only donations that count for me are those that are over $25.
I know that you're busy trying to get in some last-minute training before Saturday, so I'll summarize:
  • I will raise another $5,000 in donations to the PMC before you raise your first $5,000.
  • If you raise $5,000 (in donations of $5 or less) before I do, you get one of my beautiful jerseys, covered with photos of people affected by cancer who are near and dear to me and my supporters.
  • If I raise $5,000 (in donations over $25) before you do, I get an autographed jersey from you that I will give away to one of the people who donates to my ride as part of this effort.
And, of course, there has to be a finish line: the end of the ride Saturday.

This way, you can give me your jersey before you abandon depart the PMC. If neither of us has raised the $5,000 by then, no jerseys change hands.

Let me know if you're up to the challenge, Lance, and I'll spread the word.


Papa Bradstein might have to ride 90 miles on the second day without a jersey unless you support his ride.

Subscribe
...Or get new posts via email.

Email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment