Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Feverish badgers' health updates

Health updates...


I've gotten some queries about our various health issues, so I guess I left you all hanging about them. Suffice it to say that we survived, but here's some more detail:

Jewel
Her broken, sprained, twisted, dislocated, all of the above leg seems to be fine. Although she appeared to be walking mostly normally by the time her follow up appointment came along, and despite the difficulties inherent in taking two tired badgers into a non-pediatrician doctor's office, Mama took Jewel in.

This was largely because when Jewel starts listing to starboard and walking in ever smaller circles as she goes through puberty and one of her legs fails to grow longer than 17 inches, neither Mama nor I wanted there to be any doubt that we did all that we could.

Yes, that's right, we weren't looking for a solution, just indemnity from future claims of ineptitude.

Of course, as soon as she was no longer lame, Jewel developed dual ear infections, which led to antibiotics and all of the fun that goes with those.

3B
His pneumonia seems to have passed, and since it's been so long since that happened, I get to report that he has a whole new cough--although the new cough is the same as the old cough, as far as I can tell--and two (almost) ear infections to boot.

The nurse practitioner--we went to a CVC Minute Clinic since he developed these over the weekend when his Dr's office is closed, of course--said that they weren't quite infected yet, but that the diagnosis is somewhat subjective. However, Mama and I have been down this road, we know where it ends, and we're all going to be in the car for 12 hours this week, driving to the farm. So, I used a Jedi mind trick and got the nurse practitioner to prescribe antibiotics to head off what would have become, five seconds after we left her office, a raging ear infection that would have laid an elephant down.

Before you go all anti-antibiotic crazy on me--I know. I get it. I actually avoid them like the plague...or at least like the common cold. However, 3B just got over pneumonia, and I don't think he needed another two or three days sweating out a 104-degree fever while driving 600-miles to colder climes and celebrating Christmakwanzukkah.

Mama and I
Despite the repeated 3 a.m. "my tummy hurts" wake up calls, the 63 trips in one week to the doctor, and the general demeanor of the feverish badgers, we're fine. Thanks for asking.

p.s. Why is it always 3 a.m.? 10 extra Bradstein points for the best answer.



Papa Bradstein will ride 200 miles across Massachusetts in two days to help fight cancer. Please support his ride.

Subscribe
...Or get new posts via email.

Email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment