Sunday, November 26, 2006

Jiggety jig

When I was younger, I would wander the house, collecting possessions like keys, wallet, coat, backpack and shoes before heading out the door. After I had assembled myself, I would head for the door, announcing loud enough for anyone at home to hear, "I'm off." To which Mom would inevitably reply dryly, "I know."

Now that we've been home for a whopping 24 hours, it's almost time to turn the place and the dog over to Auntie Banana for another week and head out the door to a conference in Boston. Mama and 3B are coming along and Mama's mom will be heading down from Maine to visit with us for a few days. It's all going to be great fun--well, maybe my conference of geeks isn't everyone's idea of a good time, but I'll have some fun--but I'm still feeling a bit off.

There are plenty of reasons for that:

  • spending our first Thanksgiving without Mom
  • spending the rest of the week living in and going through my childhood home, beginning the work on her estate
  • spending two weeks away from home and Barky
  • shifting gears from a working vacation and a work trip
  • shifting gears from spending all day with Mama and 3B to spending all day at work
  • spending most of today sleeping, eating, or napping
The cause of that last one is likely a bug that I figure I picked up on our last trip, and which I may be sharing with 3B. I've been feeling a bit drained, perhaps mildly feverish, congested, and somewhat scratchy throated. So either I'm coming down with something, or I've been stressed out and traveling.

3B's symptoms seem to confirm that it's probably a bug, since he's been a bit congested--although we haven't had to resort to sucking his brain out through his nose with the big blue snot sucker--and developed an occasional dry cough. If he does have a bug, it would be his first. Not as exciting a milestone as first teeth or first steps, but a milestone.

I guess if he was more congested, we would have heard about it on the flight home, during which he was more active than on the way out west--or perhaps we just noticed more since the flight coming back was too full for him to have his own seat, so we were holding him the whole way. Also, I figure that if he was draining more that his cough would be more productive. As it is, we're performing our "this is not an ear infection developing" ceremony every 20 minutes, just to be on the safe side. Or just because we're off.

On a trip, that is--I meant "Or just because we're off on a trip."

Never mind.

Subscribe with Bloglines
Now with complete posts!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:37 AM

    OMG you flew on southwerst!!! The greyhound in the sky. You are truly a blessed and lucky family then. The King only travels on Eddie Laker flights himself.

    TCB on SWA